0

Ubuntu & dotNet ^^

Posted by Erik Gaius,aka [ K i r E ] on Thursday, March 19, 2009, 12:48 AM in
You maybe wondering why I'm dabbling in Ubuntu when I'm supposed to be specializing in the dotNet languages. Well then, welcome to my very first Dot Net post! ^^ I'm sure you've noticed the apparent lack of dotNet support in my blog, and that's because I'm still looking for ways to...expand dotNet's inherent boundaries. For example: The dotNet IL Interpreter turns the dotNet Language into a common intermediate language before being run by the Windows System (an oversimplification), here's a diagram:However, this is not an optimal 'plan'. The language itself is 'portable', but the system where it can be used is not. Wouldn't it be more efficient if the Intermediate Language can be interpreted in other machines too? like this:Enter Mono. The software, not the disease. ^^ I'm not sure why Microsoft didn't pursue this path when they conceptualized the dotNet Framework. It's more portable than Java, and (potentially) more powerful if more languages develop dotNet Interpreters, like what Ruby and Python did.

Ok, introductory F.A.Q time:

Q: What's this blog all about?
A: Me, my work, my hobbies, and most importantly~ the development of Dot Net Applications on a Linux O/S by a Filipino soon-to-be professor.

Q: Who teh fsck are you?
A: I am Erik Gaius Capistrano, a bachelor in Computer Science. I am currently a studying in Letran-Calamba, M.S. Management in Information Technology. ^^ I like playing Ragnarok Online and Magic:The Gathering, and enjoy watching anime.

Q: What do you use to develop applications?
A: The software I use are all open-source.. Ubuntu 8.10, Mono 2.2 and MonoDevelop 1.9.3 are my primary tools. I'm also learning how to use Ruby on Rails on NetBeans 6.5. My Office suite is OpenOffice 3.0. On the hardware side, my PC is a Pentium 4 3.2GHz, with 2GB memory and a 50GB Hard Disk.

Q: So, What Now?
A: After 2 months and 33 posts, I finally got to the primary purpose of this blog: Helping other dotNet Developers with the use of free and open-source tools.

Q: What took you so long?
A: I was experimenting with the Windows O/S, and Visual Studio Express. After quite a lot of failed attempts and system upgrades (XP~Vista~7) I got tired and opted to switch to developing a multi-platform application: Mono. Also, I'm looking for free tools to use, and VSExpress is powerful but its limitations are quite severe.

Ok, I guess that's that. My next post will be about setting up a development environment in Ubuntu 8.10, or specifically, the installation of Mono 2.2 and Mono-Develop. See ya tommorow!

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © Gains & Hart Co. 2009 .Net.ph All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.