0

Jaunty Jackalope

Posted by Erik Gaius,aka [ K i r E ] on Monday, March 30, 2009, 1:51 AM in
April 23, 2008 is the official launch of Ubuntu 9.04, but since the beta is now available, I decided to try it out! This is from the ubuntu wesite itself:

To upgrade from Ubuntu 8.10 on a desktop system, press Alt+F2 and type in "update-manager -d" (without the quotes) into the command box. Update Manager should open up and tell you: New distribution release '9.04' is available. Click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions.


Here's the upgrade log~

11:51PM ~ Alt+F2, "update-manager -d" showed ubuntu's update manager with a new button on top, telling me that there's a new distribution release. After a warning page, the update started.
11:56PM ~ Another warning page. Told me that 13 Packages are gonna be removed, 111 Packages are gonna be installed and another 1105 Packages (!!) are gonna be updated, amounting to a 684MB download, or 13 Minutes with my connection.. Pressed 'start update' afterwards.
12:46AM ~ Fetching file 1170 of 1216 at 226kbp/s, 3 minutes remaining
12:50AM ~ Installing Updates
1:30AM ~ Encountered errors in updating ca-certificates, then the upgrade manager died on me. ~_~ I typed "update-manager -d" again at the Run prompt, but the new button isn't there. Update Manager told me that my "system is up to date".. decided to restart @1:33AM
1:34AM ~ Rebooted, Grub told me that I was booting Ubuntu 9.04~ I guess the upgrade went well.

So, what's my first impression? Well, Ubuntu messed with my video card the first boot, and I had to Ctrl+Alt+F1 then Ctrl+Alt+F7 to restart it. Gnome-Do isn't working, and Compiz Fusion's Expo was really slow (Although all other effects is faster). Oh, and Alt+Tab logs me off the system. So yes, the upgrade was a disaster, but I guess that's to be expected with a beta release. Now, excuse me guys, as I have to find a way to make this work~~ :( Until next time, Ciao!

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © Gains & Hart Co. 2009 .Net.ph All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.