0

Intrepid Ibex

Posted by Erik Gaius,aka [ K i r E ] on Monday, March 16, 2009, 3:31 PM in
I installed Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) on my PC five days ago, and I must say: there's a lot of features that I'd love to bring back to Windows XP. It's really funny that I'm a Linux Certified Application Developer, yet have much more expirience with the Windows system - even specializing in a microsoft-only family of languages (dotNet). Anyways, here's a quick rundown of the features I liked:

1.) Repositories. In my relatively new opinion, this is the best feature of the Linux OS, aside from being Free Software. Most of the software that I need + automatic updates + very easy un/installations + Free (in both sense of the word) = Love.

2.) Compiz Fuzion. Nuff Said.

3.) Much cleaner font, although I did modify them to match a Mac OSX :P

4.) Multiple Desktops! (which are called Workspaces, btw)

5.) The Cairo Dock looks (and functions) a lot like OSX's dock, which is cool. ^^

6.) I didn't really notice a boost in speed, but maybe that's because my windows installation is really optimized to work with my hardware. I didn't optimize ubuntu, and its still quite fast.

I'm missing the window shortcuts of XP though such as the double clicking the upper left window icon to close the window. Also, I noticed that I can't right-click drag, which is annoying when working with archives. Another BIG problem with Ubuntu ~ no Google Chrome. I hope google would provide a linux version soon -___-

I guess that's that for my initial impressions for Ubuntu 8.10. I'll post more after I tinker with it in the next few days.. until then, see ya!

Oh, and in case you haven't noticed yet, I'm no longer blogging in tagalog ^^ I looked at the analytics of this blog and noticed that very few visitors from other countries go back here :( I'm guessing they can't read Filipino.. Oh well. Good thing (most) filipino students can read english..

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © Gains & Hart Co. 2009 .Net.ph All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.